Ushering at CCT
Ushering at CCT is a great way to support CCT and see a show for free! Our volunteer ushering staff is essential to helping CCT provide a great experience for every audience. Under the guidance of a CCT House Manager, ushers are asked to assist with preparing the theatre for an audience and assisting our patrons in the venue. We ask that all ushers be age 13 or older.
What does the CCT House Manager do at each performance?
- Duties: The House Manager oversees ushers in the theatre and lobby, distributes tickets held at Will Call, and keeps an accurate count of audience members. The House Manager is also responsible for elevating the customer experience in the lobby and maintaining a safe and welcoming environment for all patrons.
- Training: House Managers are trained in the preshow, intermission, and post-show duties.
- Late Seating: Our House Managers assist with late arriving patrons, ensuring those patrons get to their seats as quickly and safely as possible. House Managers have consulted with production staff to determine preferred and safe times for late-arriving patrons to be seats.
- Post-Show: CCT House Managers remain in the theatre lobby for at least 15 minutes after the performance to assist in the recycling of playbills and clearing of the house.
What will I be doing as an Usher?
- Duties: Taking tickets at the door, handing out playbills, directing patrons to their seats, and assisting in keeping the theatre and lobby tidy.
- Intermission (if applicable): Ushers are asked to be mindful of the audience, assisting with questions and directions to the restrooms.
- Post-Show: Ushers are encouraged, but not required, to remain in the lobby for 15 minutes after the performance to assist in the recycling of playbills and clearing of the house.
When would I be needed at the theatre?
All volunteers should arrive no later than 60 minutes prior to the start of the show.
What should I wear?
Volunteers are asked to dress neatly or in business casual. If you have a Columbus Children’s Theatre t-shirt with our updated logo (as of summer 2015), you are encouraged to wear it! Shirts may be requested at the time of sign-up, and discounted rates may apply. Please note: we may have limited sizing availability. As ushering is an active responsibility, please come in appropriate, comfortable footwear (no flip flips, snow boots, etc.).
Anything else I should know?
Each volunteer is offered a complimentary ticket to the performance he/she is working. You can also purchase additional tickets at a discounted rate of $10.50 per ticket to watch the performance with you. Volunteers can accumulate hours over the course of the season at performances and special events. An Usher shift is worth one volunteer hour.